Global Migration Network (GMN)

Canada Place, Vancouver

Study Permit

What is a study permit?

If you want to come to Canada to study, you are required to apply for a Study Permit. Study Permit allows you to study at a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada.

Who can apply for a Study Permit?

The following requirements need to be met to be eligible for a study permit in Canada:

  • Letter of Acceptance from a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada
  • Enough funds for paying your tuition fees, living expenses, and return transportation.
  • No criminal records and have a police certificate (if required)
  • Clear a medical examination (if required)
  • Prove that you will leave Canada when you finish your study in Canada

Things you need to know about Study Permits

Work While Studying:

Canada allows international students to work while studying so that they can gain work experience and earn some income. You are eligible to work if your program is for a period of more than 6 months and will lead to a degree, diploma or certificate.

Spouse and Family members of International students:

your spouse and children can accompany you to Canada. Your spouse is eligible to apply for an open work permit in Canada if you are a full-time student in a designated learning institution (DLI). In addition, your children, who are under the age of 18, can apply for a study permit or visitor visa to accompany you to Canada.

Post-Graduation Work Permit:

After you graduate from your school in Canada, you can apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) which allows you to work for any employer in Canada.

A Post-Graduation Work Permit may be issued based on the length of the study program for a minimum of 8 months up to a maximum of 3 years.

Study Permit Processing Time:

Study Permit processing time depends on the country of residence for the applicant. You can check processing time here.